The Diocesan Indigenous Justice Ministries Coordinator Brander Raven Macdonald is currently on extended medical leave. The Reverend Laurel Dykstra will be undertaking the administration and communications aspects of the position and providing infrastructure for Indigenous-led programming. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Letter from the Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada, the Most Reverend Fred Hiltz. This is an open letter to all Anglicans from the Primate's Commission on Discovery, Reconciliation and Justice.
- Please Support the Wild Salmon Caravan 2016, June 6-11
- June 1-3 Langley Reconciliation - Reconciliation Walk. Check out this event which connects to the Doctrine of Discovery Workshop
- Doctrine of Discovery Workshop - June 4, 2016. St Mary's RC IRS in Mission, BC
- Monica Gibson Pugsley's reports of Indigenous Justice theme events in the Fraser Valley, February 19, 20 and March 9.
- Archbishop Fred Hiltz apologizes to Indigenous peoples at Brantford, ON church on March 20. The section begins at 4:55 of the CTV news clip.
- Check out the Truth and Reconciliation Circle events taking place on the Sunshine Coast this spring! Scroll down and look to the left for Events.
- The first Diocesan Indigenous Justice Circle will gather at the Synod Offices, Wednesday, January 13, 2016, 10am-3pm. Click the link for more information and to register.
- Check out the 11 minute film of the October 20, Unveiling Ceremony of the new carving at Sycamore Commons Permaculture Garden which are also the parish grounds of St. David and St. Paul, Powell River.
- Brander has prepared a great resource for parishes, clergy, leaders, Social Justice groups and more. He has titled it "Recapturing the momentum of reconciliation with our Indigneous neighbours" Check out the page here on the Indigenous Justice section of the d of NW website.
- Check out Brander's selected links from Sacred Circle 2015
- Truth and Reconciliation Exhibit is ready to travel. Check out the story on the Anglican Journal website. Here is the link to the Exhibit page on the
- Harvey Shepherd of the Diocese of Montreal has written an article for the Anglican Journal "Canadian Primate suggests liturgical use of reconciliation gestures". Check it out.
- Sechelt Hospital Totems Dedication Photo Album on Facebook
- Brander Raven June 25th discussion with Gunargie O'Sullivan "KLA HOW YA FM" 110.5 FM on De-Colonization and Christianity. Discussion starts at 6:25. Brander played some tunes too.
- Click to listen to Anglican Archivist Melanie Delva's National Aboriginal Day address to the congregation of St. Clement's, Lynn Valley, June 21, 2015
- Click to read the Reverend Laurel Dykstra's National Aboriginal Day sermon found on this website's sermon pages. Rev. Dykstra was at St. Alban, Richmond, June 21, 2015
- Click to access audio and text of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Elliott's sermon for the National Aboriginal Day worship at Christ Church Cathedral's 10:30am worship held in the Ballroom of the Century Plaza Hotel.
- Click to access video and text of the Venerable Dr. Douglas Fenton's sermon for National Aboriginal Day worship at St. James'.
- Click to access a pdf of the Reverend Barbara Blakely's "Blanket Exerices" style sermon offered at All Saints', Burnaby, National Aboriginal Day.
Check out the new video featuring Sechelt Councilor Garry Feschuk speaking about IRS Day Scholar issues and how that group has been missed when it comes to apologies and full participion in the process of reconciliation. Posted 6-19-2015. Here is the new website.
Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada - Call to Action: Read the 94 recommendations HERE. These include a number of recommendations (48, 58-61, 73-75) specific to the church
Fascinating Article in the Globe and Mail, May 9th, 2015 - tracing the ties between BC's First Nations and Chinese workers.
Indigenous Justice Ministry Diocese of New Westminster
Thank you for visiting the Indigenous Justice Ministry pages on the Diocese of New Westminster's website. I would be happy to answer any questions about this ministry and please also consider this page as a resource and as a place to list events.
Reprinted from the Anglican Foundation Website The Anglican Foundation is excited to announce the recipients of the 2016 Request-for-Proposals grants. AFC requested proposals that address the Truth and... Read More