Ecumenical & Multifaith
Why is interfaith dialogue important?
Dialogue and co-operation between faiths is vital to building a path to peace and justice. Millions have died in clashes between faiths throughout the centuries, and continue to die as victims of religious extremism or sectarian conflict.
It has been said that there will be no peace until there is peace between religions, and there will be no peace between religions without dialogue and co-operation. This is only possible if people of faith take the initiative to approach the other, and with them create a climate of mutual concern and action. The fact is that other faiths do exist and we have two choices – conflict or dialogue.
How can parishes and individual Christians make a difference?
We need to think globally and act locally because, in building inter-religious relationships here, we both model and enact our ministry of reconciliation. We need to do this so that we might live out our incarnational faith, building a community in which all God’s children can live in peace, and work together to create “a future with hope” (Jer 29:11). In doing so, we not only positively affect our own local community, but we share this healthy model of being and doing with surrounding communities, and eventually, the whole world. Realising big dreams starts with small steps.
- Join with one or more parishes and invite leaders from neighboring non-Christian churches to speak about their faith traditions
- Include Prayers for Peace from another faith tradition in your regular services and personal worship (see Multifaith Prayers for Peace).
- Watch for Ecumenical activities in your community to increase your understanding of how others worship God and share with others the joy of our Anglican faith and traditions.
“Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards men.” Let us, as committed Anglicans, help the world today move toward achieving this aspiration which is so fundamental to Christ’s teachings!
The following resources have been prepared for further study and dialogue by the Ecumenical and Multifaith Unit.
- Other Faiths and Christian Mission
- A Summary of World Religions
- Multifaith Resource Manual
- InterSpiritual Centre of Vancouver (ISC)