MVA - Leadership Institute Training
January 30 - 31, 2015
Important: This event has already occurred.
- Capilano University, North Vancouver
Friday January 30, 2015, 7-9pm
Saturday January 31, 2015, 9:30am - 3:30pm
We start and end on time!
This two day training is for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 70 years of organizing experience. The topics include:
- Why organize? – examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills – individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions – systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action- oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues. Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from MVA member organizations: FREE
- Participants NOT from MVA member organizations: $50.00 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues)
- Refreshments throughout the weekend and lunch on Saturday will be provided.
The Eco-Justice Unit of the Diocese of New Westminster is an MVA member organization so anyone interested in registration should contact the Reverend Margaret Marquardt so that the fee may be waived.
Parking after 5pm and on weekends will cost $3.50. The best parking lot for the purpose of access to the Library Building is immediately to the South East of the Birch Building. It is a very big and well lit parking lot. There is also curb side parking on Monashee Drive.
Note as well there is a bus loop at shelter on Purcell way shown on the map. There is a larger bus loop on the north end of campus at the Bosa Centre for Film and Animation (not shown in this map). To get to the Library Building from this bus loop, participants should take the “East Walk”.
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".