MVA - Leadership Training
November 7 - 8, 2016
Important: This event has already occurred.
- 9:30AM - 3:30PM
- BCTF Office - 550 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver
The Reverend Margaret Marquardt, Chair of the Diocesan Eco-Justice Unit and Chair of MVA Leadership Institute Committee is pleased to announce that Bishop Skelton will be attending the two day training for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 60 years of organizing experience.
The topics include:
- Why organize? – examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills – individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions – systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action- oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues.
- Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from MVA member organizations: FREE Participants NOT from MVA member organizations: $50.00 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues)
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Important Info for Diocesan Participation
- Diocesan participants need to register directly with MVA.
- Those coming from parishes that are members of MVA: St Catherine, Capilano, St Clement, St James, St Laurence, St Thomas, Vancouver, and those directly attached to the Diocese or the Eco-Justice Unit attend for free.
- Those coming from non-member parishes would be asked to pay $50.00 for the two days, which covers material, refreshments and lunch on both days
- Please contact Margaret for more information
Available Files to Download
To download, right-click the file and select "Save link as".