Reconciliation Matters - TRC Vancouver
Sunday, May 31, 2015
Important: This event has already occurred.
- 9:00AM - 10:00AM
- Various - Ecumenical Service at St. Andrew's-Wesley
With the closing of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, the ecumenical community of Vancouver and members of the public will gather in a community street fair and multi-faith reconciliation service.
The day will begin with the lighting of a sacred fire, timed with the start of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Walk for Reconciliation in Ottawa.
Everyone is welcome! No Registration required. Event FREE!
Join the conversation and show your support in creating a new way forward for Aboriginal peoples and all Canadians!
BEAR WITNESS TO TRUTH AND RECONCILIATION
The important role of the witness is based on the Aboriginal principle of witnessing. …In accordance with the culturally specific oral traditions of First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, are called upon to be the keepers of history when an event of historic significance occurs. …The act of bearing witness is also recognized ,,, as an important part of honouring memory or addressing social injustice by being a voice for societal change. Cross-cultural dialogues bring together Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people to enable them to establish, repair and revitalize relationships in person and face to face.
~ Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada ~
- Lighting of a sacred fire
- Guest speaker, Douglas White, Director, for the Centre for Pre-Confederation Treaties and Reconciliation at Vancouver Island University and former Chief of the Snuneymuxw First Nation,
- Performance by Sister Says, a soulful genre-bending pop duo with Haida and Tsimshian roots
- Aboriginal artisans, educational booths and displays
- Food vendors
- Participants invited to witness the Blanket Exercise a powerful visual demonstration
- 9:00am – Lighting of the Sacred Fire
- 10:30am – Ecumenical Service – St. Andrews-Wesley United Church 12:00pm – Community Street Fair – Sheraton Wall Centre Courtyard
- 1:15pm – Blanket Exercise – Wall Centre Courtyard
- 2:30pm – Multi-faith prayer service – First Baptist Church
- City of Vancouver
- Reconciliation Canada
- Central Presbyterian Church
- Christ Church Anglican Cathedral
- First Baptist Church
- St. Andrews-Wesley United Church
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver
- Anglican and United Church Archives
Location and Parking:
- St. Andrews Wesley United Church – 1012 Nelson St. Vancouver, BC
- Sheraton Wall Centre – 1088 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC (directly across the street from St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church)
- First Baptist Church – 969 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y1