MtS Regional Director's Conference in Vancouver
September 22, 2017
The Regional Directors of the Mission to Seafarers (MtS) around the Anglican world wrapped up their conference with a celebratory dinner in the renovated lower floor of the Mission Centre (The Flying Angel Club) at the Port of Vancouver the evening of Thursday, September 21. The conference ran from Monday, September 18 until Friday the 22nd at the aforementioned Mission Centre.
MtS worldwide is set up in geographical regions with headquarters in London, England. The conference was attended by the Secretary General, the Reverend Canon Andrew Wright from London and the Directors from each of the regions: Europe, Canada, Africa, Australia, Gulf and South Asia, East Asia, USA, Oceania, St. John/New Brunswick who gathered in Vancouver for learning and fellowship. Joining the directors were executives from supporting organizations including Dr. Jason Zuidema, the Executive Director of the North American Maritime Ministry Association (NAMMA).
During the conference the participants looked at their mandate, “serving seafarers” in terms of: team ministry, effective internships, ecumenical partnerships, ‘Alpha’ for seafarers, effective advocacy, effective governance, digital chaplaincy, internet and social media, effective ship visiting, family networks, port twinning, creating and maintain high quality and sustainable centres and that is just a sampling of the fulsome agenda assembled for the conference.
Each director submitted a regional report and there was also a visit to the MtF in Seattle. The Reverend Peter Smyth, Senior Port Chaplain for Vancouver said “it was a great week!”
Those in attendance and visible in the first photo (in no particular order) were:
- The Rev. Canon Andrew Wright, Secretary General (Chair)
- The Rev. Ijeoma Ajibade, Regional Director for Europe (IA)
- The Rev. Maggie Whittington-Lamont, Regional Director for Canada
- The Rev. Cedric Rautenbach, Regional Director for Africa
- The Rev. Garry Dodd, Regional Director for Australia
- The Rev. Dr Paul Burt, Regional Director for the Gulf & South Asia
- The Rev. Canon Stephen Miller, Regional Director for East Asia
- Mr Ken Hawkins, Regional Director for the USA
- The Rev. Lance Lukin, Regional Director for Oceania
- The Rev. Peter Smyth, Senior Chaplain, Vancouver Port
- The Rev. Eric Phinney, Port Chaplain, St John New Brunswick
- Mrs Tomilayo Toluhi, Director of Human Resources & Administration
- Mr Ben Bailey, Assistant Director of Advocacy & Regional Engagement
- Mr Tom Boardley, Chair of MTS London Board of Trustees
- Dr Jason Zuidema, Executive Director, NAMMA
- The Rev. Dr Viv Thomas, Founder, Formation.
Attending the wrap-up dinner on behalf of Bishop Skelton was diocesan Director of Finance and Property, Mr. Rob Dickson and also present was MtS Vancouver’s Board Chair, Captain Stephen Brown.
A full feature article written by Dr. Jason Zuidema will be published in the November 2017 issue of Topic the monthly magazine of the Diocese of New Westminster.
Conference Attendees Congerence Attendees and Guests for the closing night dinner.