Screening in Faith
The Diocese of New Westminster is committed to being a place where all can come to be loved and supported in the love of Christ. Our Baptismal Covenant says that we are to love and serve our Lord Jesus Christ, always remembering to love our neighbor as ourselves. Screening in Faith helps us to fulfill a fundamental obligation; to look after the welfare of all members of the community, especially those who are vulnerable through age, infirmity or any other form of dependency.
Screening volunteers and paid staff addresses our responsibility to offer the best to those we serve and that we insure that those we place in positions of power and trust be selected, trained and supported so that their ministries be life-giving.
Screening in Faith Policy
- Screening in Faith policy including appendices (last updated: August 2015)
This document contains the full Screening in Faith Policy and appendicies. At the bottom of this page, several of the appendicies are also avaliable in PDF and Word format to be customized for parish usage.
Resources to assist with implementing the Screening in Faith policy
The following documents will assist parishes to implement the policy, including the screening of volunteers and the development of guidelines for safe, effective ministry:
- Guide to Screening in Faith for Parish Leaders (April 2016)
This guide is designed to orient parish leaders (Rectors, Wardens, Screening in Faith Coordinators) into understanding the Screening in Faith policy, and to their role in its maintenance.
- Guide to Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check (August 2015)
This guide assists parishes and individuals in the process and procedure for obtaining a police record check. It includes a list of contact information for police departments and RCMP detachments around the area of the diocese.
This letter can be edited by parishes to be given to volunteers and lay employees to take to their local police department or RCMP detachment to obtain a Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Frequently Asked Questions (last updated: August 2015)
Appendicies to the Screening in Faith policy
The following files are appendices of the Screening in Faith policy, many of which can be downloaded as both PDFs or Word files to be customised for a parish's use:
- Appendix A - Sample List of Ministry Positions in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix B - Generic Position Description Templates in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix D - Risk Assessment Checklist for Each Position in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix E - Screening Checklist in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix F - Time and Talent Record or Application in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix G - Suggested Interview Questions and Format in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix I - Screening Reference Interview Questions in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix J - Ministry Guidelines in PDF format.
- Appendix N - Sample Acceptance Letter in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix O - Sample Refusal Letter in PDF and Word formats.
- Appendix P - Screening Policy for Long-Term Users and Lessees in PDF and Word formats.