- Sunday, August 19, 2018
- 10:30 - 11:30 am
- Christ Church Cathedral, 690 Burrard
- Save to your Calendar
Summer Festival of Sacred Music
Join Christ Church Cathedral’s Summer Festival of Sacred Music on Sunday’s at the 10:30am service
- July 8 - What Wondrous Love: The Sacred Harp Tradition - American 18th and 19th century Shapenote music. For the first Sunday of the festival, we explore American 18th and 19th century Shapenote music - music developed to encourage congregational singing - both through the original hymnody and in new arrangements.
- July 15 - I Was Glad - Celebrating the Music of Charles Hubert Hastings Parry Guest conductor and Vancouver Legend Bruce Pullan leads the cathedral choir through the music of British Choral titan Charles Parry, in honor of the hundredth anniversary of his death.
- July 22 - Duo Seraphim Clamabant - Polychoral Music of 17th C. Spain, featuring Cornetto and SackbutsThe final Sunday of the year for the Cathedral Choir, we explore music of Juan Cererols, Matteo Romero, and other unknowns from the Iberian Peninsula, in music for three choirs, together with Vancouver specialists of early brass instruments.
- July 29 - Amor tuus continuus - Latin Devotional Music from Germany for Voices and Viols Together with players of UBC’s Baroque Orchestra Mentorship Program (under PBO violinist Chloe Meyers), solo voices explore musical settings of devotional poetry - particularly those of Samuel Capricornus (1628-1665).
- Aug 5 - O Mysterium - Transfiguration: Grand and Petit Motets from the Chapel of VersaillesSolo voices explore the mystical music from Seventeenth Century France, together with strings led by Marc Destrubé - featuring lush music from Moulinie and Du Mont.
- Aug 12 - Gaude Maria Virgo - Marian Devotion in Elizabethan England For the Blessed Virgin Mary, we delve into the music of William Byrd, John Sheppard, and Thomas Tallis, including Byrd’s Mass for Five Voices.
- Aug 19 - Seek Him - Sacred Music by Living Composers The final Sunday of the Summer Festival celebrates contemporary sacred choral music - featuring music by Dove, L’Estrange, and Gabriel Jackson.