- Wednesday, June 1, 2016 - 6:30PM - 9:30PM
- Thursday, June 2, 2016 - 9:30AM - 12:30PM
- Friday, June 3, 2016 - 9:30AM - 3:30PM
- Fort Langley - Mission
- Save to your Calendar
“The sacred walk is a distinctly Canadian and Indigenously flavoured act of political, spiritual and social witness.” Bishop Mark MacDonald, National Indigenous Bishop of the Anglican Church of Canada
Come and join in the Walk towards Reconciliation, between indigenous and non-indigenous peoples.
The Walk will take us from the colonial bastion of Fort Langley to the nearest residential school site – St. Mary’s in Mission. It is a journey that symbolizes that of so many aboriginal children, but also to bring people together as they walk. The planned schedule is:
- Wednesday June 1, 6:30pm Fort Langley Historic Site to TransCanada Trail (26805 River Road)
- Thursday, June 2, 9:30am TransCanada Trail to Douglas Taylor Park, Abbotsford
- Friday, June 3, 9:30am Douglas Taylor Parkl to Matsqui Trail Picnic Area
- Friday, June 3, 12noon Matsqui Trail Picnic Area to St. Mary's Residential School Site.
- Saturday, June 4, 9:30am Tour of St. Mary’s site and presentation on the so-called “doctrine of discovery”, followed by a catered hospitality lunch. Click the link to access information about the June 4 event
We are, of course, arranging rest stops with refreshments along the way, and a place to camp Thursday night, for those who wish to do so. . Even if you are unable to join us for the whole journey, we hope you will walk with us for part of the way. More details to follow....
Langley Churches for Reconciliation - Rev. Paul Guiton, Anglican; Rev. Dale Johnson, United; Rev. Ian Funk, Mennonite; Rev. Henk Smidstra, Christian Reformed.