- Thursday, October 26, 2017
- 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Olivet Baptist Church, 613 Queens Avenue, New Westminster
- Save to your Calendar
Welcome The Stranger: Refugees Becoming Neighbours …an interactive evening of stories from Canadians who have welcomed individuals who have lived the refugee journey.
Our speakers arrived from Kurdistan of Iraq in August 2016 and were subsequently granted protection as refugees. Like many refugees arriving in our city, they had no place to live until space was offered at the home of Ken and Aisyah Pierce. Upon becoming neighbours, these two couples developed a bond of friendship. On October 26, come and hear the story of how this friendship impacted and transformed both couples. Join us for this evening and be inspired and equipped to welcome newcomers into your own community.
This evening will be hosted by Journey Home Community and Kinbrace Community Society, two local organizations that have been welcoming refugee claimant families to Metro Vancouver for a combined 30+ years. Kinbrace's Beyond Refuge Program and Journey Home Community's Refugee Claimant Sponsorship Program equip and support Canadians who want to become involved in welcoming refugees into community through the provision of housing, support and friendship.
Who should attend this event?
- Are you part of a group/church waiting for a Privately Sponsored Refugee application to be processed?
- Are you interested in learning about the unique challenges experienced by asylum seekers who arrive in Canada?
- Do you want to welcome a refugee family who is already here in BC?
- Do you want to assist refugee families experiencing homelessness due to Metro Vancouver's housing crisis?
If you answered "YES" to any of these questions, then register at journeyhomecommunity.ca/events
We hope you will join us in learning how you can create communities of welcome for those arriving in Metro Vancouver seeking protection in Canada.