URGENT CALL TO ACTION
Please contact your MP to discuss this critical matter. A personal meeting has more impact than an e-mail, letter, or phone call, but these are good too. Note that Parliament recesses on December 11 so you must act quickly.
To find out who your MP is by postal code, click:PARLIAMENT
- Express grave concern about this decision.
- State that as an Anglican you support KAIROS and its development work and you wish to see its long standing relationship with CIDA restored.
- Emphasize the impacts of this decision on KAIROS' global partners and on KAIROS' work in Canada.
THINGS TO BE PREPARED FOR:
Your MP may echo what was said by a CIDA official: that KAIROS' programs no longer "fit" with CIDA'S stated priorities of food security, children and youth, and sustainable growth. You can reply that KAIROS' work clearly reflects these priorities, naming projects in the attached "Briefing notes" and emphasizing that the Overseas Development Assistance Accountability Act (June 2008) calls for CIDA programming to fit with international human rights instruments.
Your MP may suggest that taxpayers' money should not go toward the mission work of churches. You can respond that KAIROS' CIDA projects go towards development work, and that mission is carried out independently by the Anglican Church of Canada.
For a copy of the KAIROS media release and briefing document visit the KAIROS website at www.kairoscanada.org
SPECIFICALLY YOU ARE ASKING YOUR MP:
· to find out why Bev Oda, the Minister of International Cooperation, turned down KAIROS' project proposal against the recommendation of senior staff
· to ask Minister Oda to reverse this decision
· to seek and offer an explanation of this departure from Government policy and practice for overseas development
· to advise you on further actions you can take.
If your MP is on the Government side, ask him or her to apply pressure to the Minister.
If your MP is a member of the Opposition, ask him or her to ask about this decision in question period.
Please also e-mail or write to:
· The Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada,firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheryl Curtis Henriette Thompson
Executive Director Director of Partnerships
The Primate's World Relief and Development Fund The Anglican Church of Canada
Archdeacon A. Paul Feheley
Principal Secretary to the Primate
The Anglican Church of Canada
80 Hayden Street
Toronto, Ontario Canada
416 924 9199 ext 277
416 924 0211 (fax)