The Reverend Canon Herbert O'Driscoll and the Reverend Canon Richard LeSueur led a course titled "Dawn: Bound for Emmaus. Contemporary signs of resurrection for a pilgrim church". Both of these well-known theological scholars have led numerous Sorrento Centre summer courses together. They have also (both together and singularly) led international pilgrimages as well as serving together in parish ministry in the Diocese of Calgary. During the week, it was announced that Canon LeSueur has been appointed interim priest-in-charge of Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral. The archbishop’s appointment of Canon Lesueur will commence, October 22. approximately a month following the retirement of the Cathedral's Dean and Rector, the Very Reverend Peter Elliott.
The Reverend Kelly Duncan Rector of St George's Fort Langley and Regional Dean of Golden Ears deanery with the Reverend David Taylor, Rector of St Dunstan's Aldergrove served as worship leaders for the week. Worship included, morning chapel services, outdoor evening worship and the closing Eucharist. These two priests were assisted through the week by the Reverend Andrew Halladay, Vicar of St Andrew's Langley, and by deacon, the Reverend Karen Saunders of St George's, Fort Langley. During the week, Rev. Taylor also co-led a course with his co-director at the St. Dunstan’s Centre for Spiritual Formation, Lorie Martin titled "Celtic treasures: Exploring Celtic Spirituality".
There were over 170 people on site for the week, including a huge number of children who enthusiastically enjoyed the Centre's children's programming presented and facilitated by the summer staff. Weekly activities included: campfire/singalong, variety night, the water fight and the weekly dance, thus truly keeping Sorrento Centre steadfast in its 5+ decades history of "from generation to generation".
Sorrento Centre is located in British Columbia’s interior in the Diocese of Kootenay on Shuswap lake near the town of Chase, BC.
- Course participants (guests) and staff do the actions to the song "Peace Before Us" at the week's Closing Eucharist
- Rev. David Taylor of St Dunstan's Aldergrove and his youngest son Logan enjoy skipping rocks at the Centre's beach
- Canon Herbert O'Driscoll and Canon Richard LeSueur discuss their course material in the meeting room of Caritas (the main gathering place)
- Campfire night at the beach. Returning Summer staff members Matthew Stephens (Matthew is the son of Rev. John Stephens of St John's, Shaughnessy) and Sam Cruickshank (grandson of the late Bishop Jim Cruickshank) help to lead the singalong
- James and his great-grandfather enjoying s'mores and hot chocolate together at the beach campfire
- Canon Herbert O'Driscoll and Jane Dittrich enjoying the beach campfire and singalong
- Staff and guests enjoying the dance in Kekuli, the Centre's outdoor covered amphitheatre. They are doing the actions to "Rock the Boat" (returning Sorrento staff member, Matthew Stephens, front left.)
- Sorrento Centre summer staff lifeguards, Santi and Miriam, keep a careful watch over the beach and all of the swimmers enjoying Shuswap Lake. Miriam Jang is the daughter of the Venerable Stephanie Shepard, Priest-in-Charge at St Faith, Vancouver and Archdeacon of Granville, and Christ Church Cathedral choir member, Byron Jang
- Rev. Karen Saunders, Deacon of the Table with Celebrant, Rev Kelly Duncan during Closing Eucharist
- Course leaders of the week Rev. David Taylor, Canon Richard LeSueur and Canon Herbert O'Driscoll receive their gifts of thanks from Sorrento Centre's Executive Director, deacon, the Rev. Michael Shapcott
Photos: Jane Dittrich