On Tuesday, June 25, the Day of the Seafarer was celebrated at the two locations in the Diocese of New Westminster, Port of Vancouver at the Mission to Seafarer’s Centre (Flying Angel Club) and Delta Port.
At the Vanport location, Senior Port Chaplain, the Reverend Peter Smyth and Chaplain, Pastor Gary Roosma were present, supported by family members and volunteers all on board to welcome guests for a complimentary BBQ.
The events at the two locations were scheduled to run from 4-7pm. Rev. Smyth was happy to report that nearly 60 seafarers accessed the two locations to participate in the festivities.
At the Vancouver location a good number of volunteers were on hand with both the Reverend Wilmer Toyoken, Rector of St. Michael’s, Broadway (accompanied by Ezra) and parishioner Darcy present to help Pastor Gary with the food preparations.
The theme for the 2019 edition of Day of the Seafarer -“I am onboard with gender equality” recognizes the increased role and presence of women in the shipping industry and onboard ship, reinforcing that women are equal partners.
“It is an opportunity to highlight opportunities for women, as well as the contributions they are already making in a wide range of maritime careers and professions, but the focus will be very firmly on one aspect of that community — seafarers,” IMO [International Maritime Organization]
The Day of the Seafarer is an opportunity to say thank you to all seafarers, who bring us 90% of what we use in our daily lives.
The next event of note at MtS is Cycling for Seafarers on August 24. This fun fundraising event has been expanded again this year to be more family friendly with a new Family Fun Ride.
Please access the information and registration pages both available by following this link.
Please contact the Mission if you have questions 604 253 4421 / [email protected]
- The welcome banner on the top gable of the Mission to Seafarer's Flying Angel Club at Vanport
- Pastor Gary Roosma about to grill a burger
- Volunteers put out the fixins and side dishes
- Pastor Gary Roosma and Rev. Wilmer Toyoken at the grill
- A guest checks out the "fixins bar"
- Darcy dresses a burger while others relax on the Flying Angel Club porch
- Pastor Roosma serves some guests
- Relaxing in the Flying Angel Club
- Ezra is on his second burger
- The message on the door of the Flying Angel Club at Vanport.