Many thanks to Lisann Gurney and Peter Goodwin for sending in photos to diocesan communications of Shrove Tuesday events on March 5, 2019.
At St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge there was a pancake supper and the burning of palm crosses to create ashes for Ash Wednesday. The pancake supper included a pancake flipping contest that had broad participation. Regarding the palm cross burning, Lisann making reference to the palm cross burning photos from Christ Church Cathedral posted March 5 said:
"(our burning vessel is a little different from the Cathedral's - a disposable grill in the back yard!). Along with the palms, we burned slips of paper on which we wrote things we would like to let go of this Lenten season."
Here is a link to Jane Dittrich's photo essay found on the Diocese of New Westminster's Facebook page, "Anglican Conversation" of the burning and blessing of palm crosses that took place at Christ Church Cathedral on March 3.
And here is a link to a photo album on Anglican Conversation with more photos and captions from the St. John the Divine event.
St. Catherine's, Capilano's gym welcomed a big turnout for their annual Shrove Tuesday pancake supper. The proceeds from the donations received will be forwarded to the good work of the Primate's World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF). Diocesan PWRDF Unit Chair, Peter Goodwin, ODNW was present with his display boards and information publications.
And...at Holy Trinity, Vancouver it looks like some ballroom dancing took place in their spacious parish hall
- The Reverend Fred Tassinari flips a pancake
- The Reverend Sharon Smith and John Luccock, ODNW at St. Catherine's
- The palm cross buring fire at Christ Church Cathedral: Photo Jane Dittrich
- The palm cross burning fire at St. John the Divine
- The Reverend Sharon Smith addresses a good-sized crowd at the St. Catherine's, Gym
- Pancake crafting hardware at St. John's
- John Luccock and Peter Goodwin in front of the PWRDF display at St. Catherine's
- The vicar, the Reverend Laurel Dahill prepares to flip a flapjack
- Dancing at Holy Trinity, Vancouver