Many thanks to GS2019 volunteer Pamela McElheran (back row on the right) for forwarding photos taken in the courtyard of the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel home of GS2019 of the leadership team coordinating the July 14 Parish Visit transportation.
Also thanks to Canon Jonathan LLoyd of St. Stephen's, West Van for the group photo of Synod Delegates from all three houses visiting the parish and for the photo of the Welcome cupcakes
Thanks to Tracy Harper of the Anglican Diocese of Saskatoon for posting photos on their diocesan website of the Synod Delegates visit to St. Mary's, Kerrisdale and also a posed group shot of hosts and guests.
And also the Reverend John Stephens forwarded a photo of Bishop William Cliff of the Diocese of Brandon who was Parish Visit Guest Preacher at St. John's, Shaughnessy.
According to Pamela many volunteers with vehicles collected and delivered 280 GS2019 delegates to 26 parishes around the Diocese of New Westminster with "no major hiccups".
The word is that General Synod had not offered Parish Visits for over 10 years. D of NW Local Arrangements Parish Visit Coordinator, Terryn Naumann said that organizing the transport for the July 14 visits was "like putting together a very large, complicated puzzle... but in the end, it all came together and we are all delighted that it was such a success!"
Pamela forwarded these emails received by Terryn early this morning.
"You and your team did a great job. Well done! St John's had fantastic fun with our guests and I think they did as well. Our Choir even got an invitation to come to Newfoundland!"
"Thank you for the awesome organization! It was truly a privilege to host our guests." Diana McHardy Schmidt, St Mary's Kerrisdale
And here is a great anecdote from Conrad Guelke, ODNW at St. Philip's.:
"I was scanning the list of General Synod delegates to be driven to St. Philip’s for worship and a hosted luncheon. (Local parishes in the diocese were all participating in this welcome to Synod visitors.) I spotted two bishops on the list of delegates for St. Philip’s to welcome - Barbara Andrews and Linda Nicholls. There was something about the latter name that struck a chord, if not a cannon. Turns out that the soon-to-be installed Primate had requested that she go to St. Philip’s for reasons eventually disclosed when rector, the Rev. Stuart Hallam welcomed her at the 10am service. Turns out that she had been confirmed at St. Philip’s as a youngster. Needless to say, St. Philip’s was “chuffed” to be hosting the Primate-elect."
Please post photos of GS2019 delegates visiting parishes and tag with #GS2019parishvisits.
- Amongst those in the photos with Pamela who is on the right back row: Local Arrangements Co-Chairs, Charlotte French, ODNW (St. Philip) and Susanne Stockdill, ODNW (St. Catherine, Capilano); Volunteer Coordinator for GS2019 Local Arrangements, Sharon Grove (Holy Trinity, Vancouver), the Reverend Steve Bailey, Parish Visit transportation volunteer (St. Aidan and St. Bartholomew, Gibsons) and with the sign Terryn Naumann (St. Philip) who was the lead coordinator for Parish Visit transportation. (2 photos)
- Bishop Chris Harper of the Diocese of Saskatoon at St. Mary's, Kerrisdale (SMK)
- Lemonade on the lawn at SMK
- The SMK Group Shot
- Bishop William Cliff of the Diocese of Brandon was Guest Preacher at St. John's, Shaughnessy, giving D of NW Clergy Delegate to General Synod, the Reverend John Stephens a bit of a breather
- The Cupcakes of Welcome at St. Stephen's, West Vancouver.
- The St. Stephen's Parish Visit Group Shot.
- The priest and the primate at St. Philip's, Dunbar