In late June, Anglicans in the Diocese of New Westminster joined with others to respond to the hunger emergency unfolding around the world, including in many sub-Saharan African countries. The Canadian Government matched our donations.
PWRDF was selected to oversee one of the resulting projects. With a total budget of $1,392,560, we are working with Church World Service Kenya to deliver a food assistance project in North Horr Sub-County, Marsabit County, Kenya.
Working with community advisory committees, CWS Kenya has begun to provide four in-kind food transfers to 4,000 of the most vulnerable households (an estimated 22,000 individuals) in Turbi and Maikona ward. Two distributions have already taken place.
Thanks to donors like you, each household will receive a monthly ration of:
- 50 kg maize flour
- 10 kg beans
- 3 L vegetable oil
- 500 g of salt
- 5 kg of corn soy blend (CSB) to 1,764 of the selected households with pregnant and lactating women and children under five years of age to prevent acute malnutrition.
Your donations matter:
- 50 million people worldwide are facing emergency levels of hunger.
- The number of severely food insecure people has more than doubled in the last two years.
- Extended drought and other climate shocks are wreaking havoc on food supplies and livelihoods.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had severe economic consequences in many countries.
- The conflict in Ukraine is having a direct impact on access to basic food supplies.