Reflection given by the Right Reverend John Stephens at the Opioid Crisis Service of Lament that took place during the afternoon of April 14, 2022. The service was a joint effort of Christ Church Cathedral parishioners and representatives Providence Health Care and Vancouver Coastal Health.
April 14, 2022 was the sixth anniversary of the-then Provincial Health Officer of British Columbia, Dr. Perry Kendall declaring a public health emergency in relation to the opioid-related overdose deaths.
Squamish Elder Xwechtaal (Dennis Joseph) offered a welcome, a territorial acknowledgement and Travel Song.
A significant part of the ceremony was the Tree of Lament. Branches drawn on presentation board with accompanying paper leaves. People attending the service were asked to write names and memorials on the leaves and then affix them to the tree.
- Lamentation Tree on the altar
- Squamish Elder, Dennis Joseph offers the welcome and territorial acknowledgement
- Prayers of Intercession: Sue Cruickshank and the Reverend Alisdair Smith
- Beth Burton of Providence Health Care offers a reflection
- The Reverend Clare Morgan sings a postlude, accapella