The Parish of St. Aidan and St. Bartholomew is served by St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church, located at the corner of Highway 101 and North Road in Gibsons.
The original St. Bartholomew’s church was established in 1892 by The Rev. H.G. Fiennes-Clinton on its present-day site, at the corner of Highway 101 and North Road. In 1935, The Rt. Rev. A. U. De Pencier established St. Aidan’s church in Roberts Creek. The two church families joined in worship at St. Bart’s in 1984.
The melded and enlarged congregation worked to fully restore the original church building in the early 1990s, and incorporated it into the present-day structure as its Bethlehem Chapel. The original bronze bell in the belfry still calls parishioners to Sunday Family Eucharist services at 11am. The enlarged building was dedicated in November 1995. It includes a bright, airy sanctuary with unparalleled acoustics; a church hall with raised stage and adjacent kitchen; and office space. These amenities as well as additional offices on the plaza level – currently home to St. Bart’s Food Bank, the Child Care Resource and Referral Centre, and community music teachers – are available for community use in return for donations.
St. Bart’s operates a monthly Food Bank, and is part of a team delivering platters of sandwiches and veggies to Gibsons Elementary School for its community lunch program. It also offers a number of health and wellness outreach programs, and is home to the Driftwood Players Theatre School. It lives by its motto: “Connecting with our Community.”